|Applicable Versions||NetSim Standard||NetSim Pro|
|Sumo - GUI||NetSim-GUI|
In 5G simulations, SUMO can be integrated to introduce vehicular mobility in the UE's. This will require modifications to the underlying GUI property files
Steps to add SUMO mobility model for UE's in 5G NR network of NetSim:
Step 1: Download the file attached to this response. i.e GenralProperty.xml
Step 2: Go to the location <NetSim-Installation-Directory>/Docs/xml/Properties. Rename the existing GenralProperty.xml file to say, GenralProperty_backup.xml as a backup. Then copy and paste the downloaded file in the location.
Close and re-open NetSim application. Now in any of the 5G examples or while creating a new 5G network scenario, you will see SUMO as one of the Mobility model options in the UE General Properties section as shown below.
Running 5G simulations with SUMO integration
In the VANETs module of NetSim, users can directly import a SUMO configuration file and NetSim will automatically add the vehicles to the grid and set the mobility model to SUMO.
However in this case since the integration is done manually, UE's will have to be dropped manually and properties will have to be set. A inbuilt VANET example which involves a SUMO configuration file is considered in this article.
1. We consider the example Example -> VANET -> Simple scenario. The SUMO files are available in
2. To estimate the number of vehicles, the initial vehicle positions, and simulation grid area, the SUMO configuration can be opened using the VANET module (shown left in the image below point 4).
3. After this you can create a new scenario in 5G and set the Grid area and UE positions accordingly. Drop 5 UEs, 1 gNB, 1 EPC. These 5UEs correspond to the 5 vehicles.
4. Connect all UE to gNB and connect gNB to EPC.
5. The UE names should match the names assigned to the vehicles in the SUMO configuration file. In this example UE names are set as 'Vehicle_1', 'Vehicle_2', 'Vehicle_3', 'Vehicle_4', 'Vehicle_5' for UE_1 to UE_5 respectively.
The correct naming is important because the position coordinates of the vehicles are retrieved by NetSim from SUMO during runtime based on the device names.
6. Go to Properties of all individual UEs and change the following
Mobility model - SUMO
Sumo File - <NetSim-Installation-Directory>\Docs\Sample_Configuration\VANET\Simple_Scenario\\Configuration.sumo.cfg
For Eg: C:\Program Files\NetSim\Pro_v12_2\Docs\Sample_Configuration\VANET\Simple_Scenario\\Configuration.sumo.cfg
Step Size - 0.4
7. UE icon can be modified to that of a vehicle if required. For this, right-click on UE-> Change Icon (Sample Vehicle Icon is attached)
8. Model application traffic flow between UEs and Run simulation.
A 5G experiment file related to the above explanation is attached. Users can import experiment after replacing GenralProperty.xml file as explained above.