Handover is initiated by ENB on receiving MEASUREMENT_REPORT from the UE’s. The handover decision is also taken by the ENB and not the EPC. The handover also involves the exchange of various packets.
- First UE sends MeasurementReport packets to the ENB.
- ENB takes the Handover decision and sends the HandoverRequest packet to the target ENB.
- In response, the Target ENB sends the HandoverRequestAck packet back to the source ENB.
- This completes the process of Handover.
- After this LTE Association happens between the target ENB and the UE that was handed over.