Handover is initiated by ENB on receiving MEASUREMENT_REPORT from the UE’s. The handover decision is also taken by the ENB and not the MME. Handover also involves the exchange of various packets.
- First UE’s send MeasurementReport packets to the ENB.
- ENB takes Handover decision and sends HandoverRequest packet to the target ENB.
- In response the Target ENB sends HandoverRequestAck packet back to the source ENB.
- This completes the process of Handover.
- After this LTE Association happens between the target ENB and the UE that was handed over. (Refer: https://tetcos.freshdesk.com/solution/articles/14000059953-how-does-association-happen-in-lte)